Pedodontics is a Latin word that refers to “children's teeth”.
It aims to protect the milk teeth and permanent teeth of the children aged between 0-12 and their function as well as to resolve any problems in the teeth caused by the cavities, physical trauma, genetic or congenital factors.
Pedodontics is an extensive dentistry branch that involves all dental treatments and administers these in a way suitable for children.
What is a Pedodontist (Pediatric Dentist)?
It is a dentists who has been trained in the field of Pedodontics after graduating from School of Dentistry.
What do Pedodontists do? How do they do it?
Pedodontists may administer all kinds of dental treatment to a child patient:
- They turn dental treatment into a game for children by applying the most suitable examination and treatment techniques. As a result, the children do not have any dental fear.
- They determine the cavity risk group and apply preventive-protective procedures (fissure sealant, local flouride administration) accordingly.
- They follow up the teething process and chin development during development-growth period and prevent malocclusion of teeth with preventive orthodontic treatment.
- When permanent teeth is missing, dental prostheses are applied and aesthetic look and biting are improved.
- They administer dental treatment for children who need special care.